Upneeq Eye-Opening Drops
Low-lying eyelids can have a significant impact on your life. You may notice that you look sleepier and older, and may also have difficulties seeing as clearly. Surgery isn’t necessary to open and lift your eyelids and return your youthful gaze. Upneeq is a prescription eyedrop that opens your eyes with simple daily application.
Before and After Upneeq
How does Upneeq work?
- Upneeq is an FDA-approved medication that lifts eyelids quickly – typically within 2 hours.
- Upneeq is oxymetazoline hydrochloride ophthalmic solution. Oxymetazoline activates the muscle that controls the upper eyelid. This leads the muscle to contract, raising the eyelid.
- In clinical trials, 84% of patients saw some improvement to low-lying eyelids and 74% saw more than 50% improvement.
- The daily dose of Upneeq is effective for at least 6 hours.
- Upneeq can typically be used alongside other eye drops. Be sure to discuss any other eye drops you use with your provider to avoid potential complications.
What is ptosis?
Ptosis is low-lying eyelids, and is a common acquired medical condition. It can be more severe with advanced age. Ptosis takes hold when the involuntary muscles in the eyelids weaken and don’t hold the eyelids as far open as they once did.
Acquired ptosis is more straightforward than other issues leading to ptosis like cataract surgery or other medical conditions. We may recommend that you see an ophthalmologist before beginning Upneeq to ensure there aren’t underlying issues that require different treatment.
Because acquired ptosis develops gradually, many people don’t realize that their eyelids are hanging lower. In addition to prematurely aging you, low-lying eyelids can cause vision impairment because they narrow your field of vision. This can interfere with tasks like reading, driving, using a computer and looking up.
How does the treatment process work?
- Treatment is simple. With your Upneeq prescription, you’ll receive a set of single-use vials. They are typically dispensed as either a 30-day or 45-day supply.
- Each day, you’ll open one single-use vial.
- You’ll then apply one drop to each eye from the vial. Each vial contains enough medication for one drop in each eye.
- After using, throw away the vial.
- If you’re using another medicated eyedrop, allow 15 minutes to pass before applying your other eyedrop.
How long do results last?
Each daily dose lasts for at least 6 hours.
How do I know whether I’m a candidate?
Request a consultation to meet with one of our providers and learn more about Upneeq. If you have developed low-lying eyelids over time, it’s likely that you’re a good candidate. But it’s important to ensure that there aren’t other underlying issues that might require different treatment methods.