Certain areas of the body are more stubborn when it comes to fat loss. While a concerted exercise regimen and healthy diet will help you lose weight, you don’t have control over exactly where fat is reduced. The area beneath the chin can be a particularly tricky area to slim down. The factors leading to a double chin can be out of our control, but noninvasive treatment is a chance to reclaim your profile and target submental fat.
We offer a variety of treatment options for a double chin. Schedule a complimentary consultation to meet with our team and learn more about which one is the best fit for you.
Why do I have a double chin?
There’s a combination of factors that can lead to submental fullness – and we can only have an impact on some. But knowing the causes that may be behind fat below the chin can help you take the appropriate actions to improve it.
- Weight gain and nutrition – Weight gain can contribute to a double chin, although it’s not always the culprit. If you tend to eat more processed foods high in unhealthy fats, this can also contribute.
- Genetics – If you have a family history of loose skin or submental fullness, you are more likely to experience it as well.
- Age – The connective tissues in our skin weaken over time, losing elasticity. Loose skin above the neck can create the appearance of a double chin regardless of the fat beneath.
- Poor posture – If you tend to have poor posture, the muscles in your neck and chin can weaken. This may lead to a double chin developing over time.
Can I treat a double chin with home exercises?
There are home stretches and exercises that you can try performing (in combination with a healthy diet) in order to slim a double chin. These may or may not prove effective, and if they do, results will take a longer period of consistent effort in order to appear.
Some double chin exercises include looking up at the ceiling, opening your mouth wide and extending your tongue, and vigorously swishing air inside your cheeks. These all need to be performed 10-20 times a day in order to potentially prove effective.
Before and After Double Chin Treatment
Our double chin treatments include:
- CoolSculpting – This noninvasive fat freezing procedure kills fat cells in a targeted treatment area. The treated fat is gradually processed and eliminated by the body, slimming the area below your chin. CoolSculpting is ideal for a double chin because it specifically freezes submental fat, revealing treatment results in the coming weeks.
- Kybella – This injection destroys fat cells in the area below the chin. Treatment is simple – a series of injections below the chin – and results appear gradually. Kybella patients have seen incredible results for even persistent chin fat.
- Chin Liposuction – For patients with moderate submental fullness, chin liposuction can be the appropriate treatment option. We offer both traditional and laser chin liposuction for patients interested in fat loss plus skin tightening.
Double Chin Treatment Near You
If you’re interested in learning more, request a consultation at one of our three convenient offices across Northwest Indiana. We offer double chin treatments in Crown Point and La Porte as well as our flagship office in Valparaiso. Request your appointment today to take the first step!