How do fat transfer procedures work?
Liposuction with fat transfer combines two procedures to accomplish precise body contouring – removing fat from one area of the body, and augmenting another. This provides dual slimming and augmentation, with the fat being removed from a problem area and added to an area that is lacking volume. Some common removal areas include the abdomen, thighs, and flanks. Common augmentation areas include the face, buttocks, and breasts.
Because these treatments use the patient’s own, natural fat, it is low risk and provides natural-looking and feeling results.
Our skilled physicians specialize in body contouring and will discuss your cosmetic goals in detail to determine whether liposuction with fat transfer may be the ideal procedure. We also offer noninvasive CoolSculpting fat reduction for patients interested in fat reduction only, without augmentation.
Which areas can receive fat injections?
Patients are most often interested in adding volume to areas that have lost fullness due to aging, or were never as full as they would like. Some of these include the:
- Breasts (subtle breast augmentation)
- Buttocks (Brazilian butt lift)
- Face, especially the cheeks and/or hollow areas around the eyes
- Hands and/or arms
- Fat injections can also improve indented scars
What are the liposuction / fat transfer treatment steps?
Before you proceed with any treatment with the Vein and Laser Institute, you will meet with one of our physicians to discuss your needs and treatment goals in a private, one-on-one consultation. We will evaluate the area(s) from which you would like to remove fat, as well as the area(s) you would like to augment, and discuss realistic treatment outcomes and what to expect.
Once you and your physician are ready to begin the liposuction with fat transfer process, you will experience the following:
- Preparation – Your procedure will take place in our outpatient facility in Munster; typically, no hospital stay is necessary and you will return home following the procedure. The anesthesia provided will depend on the volume of fat that is being removed. If the patient is removing small volumes of fat, then only local anesthetic will be necessary to numb the area. Larger volumes of fat will require general anesthesia.
- Liposuction – Once the treatment area is numb and you are comfortable, fat is removed from the target area(s) using a small cannula (a thin tube).
- Fat preparation – The removed fat is prepared for injection by a specialized centrifuge. This separates the viable, living fat cells from other fluids and readies them for reintroduction to the body. Once purified, the fat is ready for injection.
- Fat injection – The fat is injected through a series of tiny incisions in the target area(s). This ensures that the fat cells have adequate blood supply to survive and become a living graft. The injection process is more involved if the area being augmented is larger (e.g. the buttocks), and faster for smaller areas like facial lines.
Liposuction with fat transfer recovery time is minimal and there is minimal discomfort. The most common side effects are mild bruising, swelling and soreness, which can be managed with over the counter painkillers. Your doctor may recommend a compression garment to reduce swelling and encourage healing.
Treatment results are typically immediate, although there may be initial swelling that will go down in the days following the procedure – this swelling can distort the initial results.
How much does liposuction and fat transfer in Munster cost?
Our Munster office is bringing expert liposuction and fat transfer to the surrounding areas. We want interested patients to be able to afford treatment and realize their body contouring and augmentation goals. We will work with you to develop a treatment plan that suits your needs and budget. Schedule a complimentary consultation today to learn more!