The chin and neck can have a tendency to retain stubborn fat. As we age, this leads to a bulge below the chin, with wrinkles and fine lines forming on the neck. For some, no amount of diet or exercise seems to make a difference – and the change in their appearance leads to self-consciousness and a drop in self esteem. Chin liposuction may be an appropriate treatment option. With a single treatment session, patients are able to reduce fat below the chin, contour the jawline, and smooth the neck.
Chin and neck liposuction is a comfortable surgical procedure with minimal downtime. The surgical removal of submental and/or jowl fat below and around the chin can help patients accomplish a range of cosmetic goals. Reduce stubborn fat and tighten tissues to create a natural transition from the chin to the neck and sculpt a stunning profile.
Submental Liposuction Benefits
- Eliminate a double chin – Immediately and precisely remove fat from the chin rather than attempting to slim the area with diet and exercise.
- Reduce stubborn fat in the neck – Reduce neck fat to help improve fine lines and wrinkles and create an elegant neck line.
- Contour and define the jawline – Gain a natural transition from the chin to the neck and a sculpted profile.
- Gently tighten chin and neck tissues – Compress the skin below the chin to help encourage natural tightening. Patients interested in more involved tightening are good candidates for laser liposuction.
Liposuction is the most popular cosmetic surgery performed today. It is appropriate for a wide range of areas across the body, in both cosmetic and medical applications. As every patient’s goals are unique, we encourage you to schedule a complimentary liposuction consultation to learn whether treatment could be the right fit for your aims.
Liposuction Treatment Steps
- Consultation – At your consultation, your physician asks and answers questions regarding your goals and the treatment process. Vein & Laser Institute offers a variety of double chin treatments to fit a wide range of patient needs. If chin liposuction is not ideal for your preferences and your desired outcome, CoolSculpting or Kybella may be appropriate.
- Marking – Your doctor marks the areas to be treated and designates where small incisions will be made to insert cannulas. With chin liposuction, incisions are made in the crease between the chin and neck so that any surgical scars will be hidden and not visible.
- Cleaning – Your doctor cleans the treatment area to avoid any risk of infection.
- Anesthesia – Your doctor numbs the treatment area with local anesthesia. We also offer sedation for interested patients.
- Fat removal – Your doctor makes incisions no larger than 5-10mm in the skin between the neck and chin. He then inserts a small cannula through each incision, and breaks up and removes excess fat through the cannula. This is done carefully to maintain even fat distribution.
- Bandaging – Your doctor wraps the chin to support the skin as it heals and help encourage tissue in the treatment area to shrink. The compression bandaging typically consists of a chin strap.
- Recovery – Downtime is relatively minimal, and patients are typically able to return to work in several days. Patients should follow their post treatment instructions and contact the office if they experience anything out of the ordinary or have questions. Swelling may occur for up to 2-4 weeks. As the swelling diminishes, patients will see comprehensive treatment results.
The chin liposuction procedure typically takes about 30 minutes.
Before and After Chin Liposuction*
*Disclaimer: Please note that results may vary and there is no guarantee of specific results.
Standard Liposuction vs. Laser Liposuction
Vein & Laser Institute offers both traditional and laser chin liposuction. The laser procedure includes skin tightening. This may be indicated for patients who have sagging or loose skin below the chin or on the neck. Ask your doctor about which liposuction method might be ideal for you at your complimentary consultation.
Chin Liposuction FAQ
Is chin liposuction painful?
Treatment is not typically painful. The treatment area is numbed with local anesthetic to ensure that the patient is comfortable. We also offer sedation to interested patients to help make the treatment process as relaxing as possible. Your physician also prescribes oral pain medication for the recovery period.
What are the safety risks?
Chin liposuction has a low complication rate. The most important safety factors are the experience level of your provider and the thoroughness of followup care post treatment. Infections from chin liposuction are very rare. If you ever have questions during the recovery process, get in touch with the office.
How long will chin lipo take?
The procedure itself typically takes around 30 minutes (hence the nickname “lunchtime liposuction”). You are able to return home immediately after treatment.
What will the downtime and recovery process be like?
Initial recovery is relatively brief – patients can typically return to work within a few days, with light activity. Swelling may occur for up to 2-4 weeks; this varies depending on the patient. Bruising is often minimal. Patients will typically wear the compression bandage for one day, then wear a lighter bandage for several days. Strenuous activity may need to be avoided for several weeks.
Results will become more apparent as the swelling decreases and the skin tightens. Follow your individual care instructions and get in touch with any questions.
When will I see results?
Chin liposuction results are immediate, and will also continue to improve over time as swelling decreases.
Will my chin liposuction results be permanent?
Liposuction results are intended to be long-term. That said, the aging process will continue to impact the skin on the chin and neck. Talk to your doctor about what you can expect from your treatment results in the years to come, and how you may be able to prolong your results.
Am I a candidate for lunchtime lipo?
Anyone with a double chin may be a candidate for the procedure. The ideal candidate has excess fat in the chin or neck, but also possesses good muscle tone in the area. This will help ensure that the skin tightens and contracts after the excess fat is removed, and fits into the new contour of the chin and neck.
One important distinction is whether traditional liposuction or laser liposuction is more appropriate. If you have sagging or loose skin below the chin, laser lipo will likely yield the best possible results.
Is chin lipo more appropriate for me than other treatment options?
Vein & Laser Institute offers several noninvasive double chin treatments, including CoolSculpting and Kybella. Each treatment works differently; the best way to learn which is ideal is to discuss your goals and preferences at your complimentary consultation.
How much does chin liposuction cost?
Chin liposuction cost varies depending on the patient. Schedule a complimentary consultation to learn more about what your treatment may cost.
Looking for Noninvasive Double Chin Treatment?
We also offer the following nonsurgical double chin treatment options –
- Kybella – Injections break down excess fat in the double chin and the body removes them from the area for long-term results.
- CoolSculpting – Cryolipolysis freezes fat below the chin and the body naturally eliminates the frozen cells to slim the area.
Learn more about whether chin liposuction is ideal for you – schedule a complimentary consultation to take the first step.