Revolutionary Vein Treatment
With upwards of 25 million Americans suffering from varicose veins, it’s more important than ever to be educated on what can be done to treat them. Women suffer from varicose veins more frequently than men, and we understand this can create not simply a health concern, but also an aesthetics and confidence issue. You can feel comfortable coming to us at the Vein and Laser Institute to perform a personal assessment of your veins, and recommend the best treatment course. Our physicians use the very latest in state-of-the-art technique and treatment to get rid of varicose veins with very little down-time, once and for all!
Varicose veins are enlarged, bulging veins that can develop from defective or diseased valves in your legs. When these valves can’t close the way they should, blood leaks back into the vein and pools there. Vein walls then swell, leading to varicose veins.
Every patient is different but in general, those suffering from varicose veins may expect:
- A feeling of heaviness in the leg
- Discoloration of Skin
There are many treatments for varicose veins offered by our physicians at the Vein and Laser Institute:
EVLT (Endovenous Laser Treatment)
Your doctor inserts a thin fiber into the vein, whereby a laser light is emitted. The affected tissue reacts to the light energy, closing the vein so the blood can be re-routed to larger, healthier veins.
Varicose Veins before and after
The doctor makes incisions in the skin to remove the varicose veins as part of a minimally-invasive procedure.
State-of-the-art Treatment Options
We are proud to be the first in Northwest Indiana and Chicagoland to provide the most clinically advanced and newest treatment options for your varicose veins.
We are proud to be the first clinic in Northwest Indiana to offer this FDA approved foam, which reduces symptoms and improves appearance of visible varicose veins. Because only an ultrasound machine is needed, the procedure is also minimally invasive and non-surgical.
We are also first in Indiana to provide this new FDA approved varicose vein closure system. It is non-tumescent, non-thermal and non-sclerosant, using an adhesive to close up the vein. The risk of nerve injury is lessened with this approach to treating small saphenous veins.
Our treatments are safe and effective, and for many of them, no anesthesia is needed.
Want to learn more? Call us at the Vein and Laser Institute today.
Treatments are minimally invasive with only conscious sedation being administered. You can expect to walk out after your treatment but will need a driver to take you home. You may then return to normal activities, but could experience tenderness or soreness at the site of the procedure. A pulling/tight feeling 5-7 days after the procedure and bruising is a normal effect of the healing process and is to be expected.
- Initial consult: One of our physicians will examine your legs and determine if there is concern enough that you should continue through to the next phase of the treatment plan.
- Ultrasound: Our own ultrasound tech will get an ultrasound on the affected veins to get a vein mapping for the doctors and your insurance company. This procedure is approximately 1.5-2 hours and is completely pain-free.
- Ultrasound Follow-Up: The doctor will go over the results from your ultrasound and determine the next course of action, including what type and how many treatments you need. We will get the information to your insurance, which can take anywhere from 4-5 weeks to get approved. From here, you will get scheduled for however many treatments you may need.
- Treatments: Depending on your treatment plan, you may be getting an EVLT (Endovenous Laser Treatment), Varithena® or VenaSeal to close off the defective veins. These treatments will have you in and out of our office in approximately an hour and a half and have little-to-no downtime.
- Post-Operative Ultrasound: After you have finished your recommended treatments, our physicians will have you schedule a follow-up ultrasound. This is similar to your initial ultrasound and this is to check that all varicose veins have been remedied.
- Final Follow-up: You will meet with your doctor to discuss the results of your ultrasound. From there, the doctor will either say you have finished with your treatments or may need to treat more veins. If that is the case, we will get you scheduled for more treatments. We may have to re-submit to insurance again for approval.
- Shower before your procedure.
- Avoid any type of moisturizer on your legs on procedure day.
- Wear loose clothing
- Do not eat 6 hours prior to the procedure
- Arrange for a ride home
What to bring:
- Compression hose
- Halcion pill (we will call into your pharmacy) to take when at our office
You may return to normal activities except:
- Keep leg elevated when sitting
- No driving a car for 24 hours if taking prescribed medications or if right leg was treated
- Wait to shower until the next day
- Avoid active sports and aerobic exercise for one week.
- No air travel 5-7 days after the procedure
- Ice the area as needed
- Wear compression hose day and night for the first week (taking off to shower)
- Wear compression hose daytime only for the second week
- If wearing hose worsens the healing process notify the office immediately
Your prescribed compression stockings can help:
- Promote good treatment results
- Improve blood flow
- Reduce swelling
- Relieve aching and heaviness
- Prevent blood clots
Vein Treatments Near You
We pride ourselves on our state of the art vein treatments, experienced physicians, caring team, and welcoming office atmosphere. Our interventional radiologists have years of experience treating varicose veins and spider veins with a variety of procedures.
If you’re interested in learning more, request a consultation at one of our three convenient offices across Northwest Indiana. We offer vein treatments in Munster and vein treatments in Crown Point as well as Valparaiso. Request your appointment today to take the first step!
REQUEST A CONSULTATION
Call (219) 736-8118 or fill out the online form below
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted via phone/text/email.