Revolutionary Varicose Vein Treatments
With upwards of 25 million Americans suffering from varicose veins, it’s more important than ever to be educated on effective vein treatment. Varicose veins can be both a health concern as well as an aesthetic one, sapping confidence and leading us to cover our legs.
Our team has years of experience, an array of state of the art techniques, and the guidance of our three interventional radiologists backing our treatment expertise. Veins are our specialty, and we’d love to help you find a path forward – without uncomfortable, unsightly varicose veins affecting your life.
Schedule an appointment to receive a personal assessment of your veins, and learn more about your ideal treatment plan. We will find the treatments and course of action that best suit your needs. We’re able to treat varicose veins with minimal downtime and lasting results.
Why Choose Vein and Laser Institute
Team of board-certified, fellowship-trained interventional radiologists
Highly experienced medical & administrative staff
Dedicated case coordinators who work directly with your insurance carrier
Our team will help you find affordable financing if your insurance does not cover your procedure
Referral typically not required to receive insurance coverage
Doctors have combined 20+ years of experience
Wide range of minimally invasive treatment options
4 convenient locations across NW Indiana
REQUEST A CONSULTATION
Call (219) 736-8118 or fill out the online form below. No referral necessary with most insurances.
By submitting this form you agree to be contacted via phone/text/email.
What causes varicose veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged, bulging veins that can develop from defective or diseased valves in your legs. When these valves can’t close the way they should, blood leaks back into the vein and pools there. Vein walls then swell, causing varicose veins.
Varicose veins are most common in the legs because those valves are further away from the heart and have to work harder to return deoxygenated blood. Veins in the legs rely on the calf muscles, which squeeze the blood into the veins and work against gravity.
Both men and women experience varicose veins, although women are more likely to develop them.
The most common causes of valve malfunction in the leg veins include heredity, pregnancy, your job, and a history of deep vein thrombosis. Obesity and trauma can also be contributing factors.
Varicose Vein Symptoms
Every patient is different but in general, those suffering from varicose veins may expect:
- Swollen ankle or lower leg
- Skin near the ankle becoming dry or itchy
- A feeling of heaviness in the leg
- Fatigued legs
- Discoloration of skin
- Pain in the legs
- A rash or ulcer on the ankle or lower leg
Varicose Veins Before and After Treatment
Vein Treatment Options
We offer a wide range of treatments with different experiences and outcomes. One of our physicians will meet with you, discuss your goals and evaluate your veins before recommending a treatment plan that will best suit your needs. Learn more about the variety of cutting-edge treatments we offer below.
We are proud to be among the first in Northwest Indiana and Chicagoland to provide some of these clinically advanced treatment options.
EVLT (Endovenous Laser Treatment)
Your doctor inserts a thin fiber into the vein, whereby a laser light is emitted. The affected tissue reacts to the light energy, closing the vein so the blood can be re-routed to larger, healthier veins.
The doctor makes incisions in the skin to remove the varicose veins as part of a minimally-invasive procedure.
We are proud to be the first clinic in Northwest Indiana to offer this FDA approved foam, which reduces symptoms and improves appearance of visible varicose veins. Because only an ultrasound machine is needed, the procedure is also minimally invasive and non-surgical.
We are also first in Indiana to provide this new FDA approved varicose vein closure system. It is non-tumescent, non-thermal and non-sclerosant, using an adhesive to close up the vein. The risk of nerve injury is lessened with this approach to treating small saphenous veins.
Our treatments are safe and effective, and for many of them, no anesthesia is needed.
What to expect from your vein treatment process
Treatments are minimally invasive with only conscious sedation being administered. You can expect to walk out after your treatment but will need a driver to take you home. You may then return to normal activities, but could experience tenderness or soreness at the site of the procedure. A pulling/tight feeling 5-7 days after the procedure and bruising is a normal effect of the healing process and is to be expected.
- Initial consult: One of our physicians will examine your legs and determine if there is concern enough that you should continue through to the next phase of the treatment plan.
- Ultrasound: Our own ultrasound tech will get an ultrasound on the affected veins to get a vein mapping for the doctors and your insurance company. This procedure is approximately 1.5-2 hours and is completely pain-free.
- Ultrasound Follow-Up: The doctor will go over the results from your ultrasound and determine the next course of action, including what type and how many treatments you need. We will get the information to your insurance, which can take anywhere from 4-5 weeks to get approved. From here, you will get scheduled for however many treatments you may need.
- Treatments: Depending on your treatment plan, you may be getting an EVLT (Endovenous Laser Treatment), Varithena® or VenaSeal to close off the defective veins. These treatments will have you in and out of our office in approximately an hour and a half and have little-to-no downtime.
- Post-Operative Ultrasound: After you have finished your recommended treatments, our physicians will have you schedule a follow-up ultrasound. This is similar to your initial ultrasound and this is to check that all varicose veins have been remedied.
- Final Follow-up: You will meet with your doctor to discuss the results of your ultrasound. From there, the doctor will either say you have finished with your treatments or may need to treat more veins. If that is the case, we will get you scheduled for more treatments. We may have to re-submit to insurance again for approval.
How should I prepare for my vein treatment?
Follow these steps prior to your vein procedure:
- Shower before your procedure
- Avoid any type of moisturizer on your legs on procedure day
- Wear loose clothing
- Do not eat 6 hours prior to the procedure
- Arrange for a ride home
What should I bring to my appointment?
Please bring the following:
- Compression hose
- Halcion pill (we will call into your pharmacy) to take when at our office
Do I need to restrict my activities following treatment?
You may return to normal activities, with these precautions:
- Keep leg elevated when sitting
- No driving a car for 24 hours if taking prescribed medications or if the right leg was treated
- Wait to shower until the next day
- Avoid active sports and aerobic exercise for one week
- No air travel 5-7 days after the procedure
How do I care for my treated leg during recovery?
- Ice the area as needed
- Wear compression hose day and night for the first week (taking off to shower)
- Wear compression hose daytime only for the second week
- If wearing hose worsens the healing process notify the office immediately
Why do I need to wear compression stockings during recovery?
Your prescribed compression stockings can help:
- Promote good treatment results
- Improve blood flow
- Reduce swelling
- Relieve aching and heaviness
- Prevent blood clots
Vein Treatments Near You
We pride ourselves on our state of the art vein treatments, experienced physicians, caring team, and welcoming office atmosphere. Our interventional radiologists have years of experience treating varicose veins and spider veins with a variety of procedures.
If you’re interested in learning more, request a consultation at one of our four convenient offices across Northwest Indiana. We offer vein treatments in Crown Point and at our new La Porte office as well as in Valparaiso. Request your appointment today to take the first step!